Oracle Apps DBA Interview Questions – IV
1. What is the configuration file for adutilities (like adadmin,adconfig etc)?
Ans: adconfig.txt @APPL_TOP/admin
2. What is adrelink?
Ans : adrelink will relink the executables with the libraries. Generally we will go for adrelink when some patch delivers some library files, or when executables were corrupted.
3. How to find the version of a file?
Ans : 1. adident Header 2. strings -a filename grep Header
4. What is adodfcmp utility?
Ans : This utility is used to recreate/repair corrupted database objects from odf(object defination files) files.
5. How you will change apps password?
Ans: FNDCPASS 0 y apps/ system/ SYSTEM APPLSYS
6. What if apps password is changed with alter command?
Ans : Applications won’t work.
7. What is the difference between alter and FNDCPASS in changing apps password?
Ans : FNDCPASS will update some fnd tables other than standard tables.
8. Where the FNDCPASS utility is located?
Ans : Concurrent node @FND_TOP/bin
9. How to find out what component of u r oracle applications were installed on which node?
Ans : Xml file (context file)
10. How to find the version of httpd/Apache web server?
Ans : $IAS_ORACLE_HOME/Apache/bin/httpd –version
11. What is the configuration file for httpd and what is the location of it ?
Ans : httpd.conf @IAS_ORACLE_HOME/Apache/Apache/conf
12. Where you will see when you have some problem with u r webserver(httpd/Apache)?
Ans : access_log & error_log @IAS_ORACLE_HOME/Apache/Apache/logs
13. When Apache starts what other components its start ?
Ans : PL/SQL Listener, Servlet Engine, OJSP Engine
14. What is jserv?
Ans : jserv is nothing but servlet engine which will run u r servlets. It’s a module of apache which supports servlets.
15. What is self service application?
Ans : Whatever part of u r oracle application u r able to see through web browser is self service.
16. Where u will see when u r not able to get self service applications?
Ans : access_log,error_log, error_pls, jserv.log, wdbsvr.app(for apps password)
17. What is the location of jserv.log?
Ans : IAS_ORACLE_HOME/Apache/Jserv/log
18. What is the location of wdbsvr.app ?
Ans : IAS_ORACLE_HOME/Apache/modplsql/cfg
19. What are jserv.conf and jserv.properties files?
Ans : These are the configuration files which were used to start jvm’s(servlet engine) by apache.
20. What is mean by clearing cache and bouncing apache?
1. Stop apache (adapcctl.sh stop apps)
2. Clear cache – Go to $COMMON_TOP/html/_pages and delete _oa_html directory
(rm –r _oa__html)
3. Start apache (adapcctl.sh start apps)
21. What is forms configuration file and its location?
Ans : appsweb_contextname.cfg @$COMMON_TOP/html/bin
22. What are the different modes u can start u r form server?
Ans : socket and servlet
23. What is the difference beween socket and servlet mode?
In socket mode forms sessions are represented by f60webmx
In servlet mode forms sessions are represented by apache processes.
24. What is forms metric server and client?
Ans : When there are more than one form sever instances then forms metric server and clinet will be used to load balance.
25. Where the forms server related errors will be logged?
Ans : access_log and error_log
26. What is report server configuration and log file name and its location?
Ans : Configuration file – REP_.ora
Log file – REP_.log @806_ORACLE_HOME/reports60/server
27. What is CGIcmd.dat file and its location?
Ans : CGIcmd.dat file is the run time parameter file the report server located @ 806_ORACLE_HOME/reports60/server
28. What is the significance of DISPLAY variable?
Ans : Vnc server should be up and running at the specified port value in DISPLAY variable, otherwise reportserver may not able to show the graphics in Reports.
29. Where is the concurrent manager log file located?
Ans : $COMMON_TOP/admin//log or $APPLCSF/$APPLLOG
30. Is apps password necessary to start all the components of oracle application?
Ans : No. Only to start/stop concurrent managers apps password is needed.
31. What is a concurrent manager?
Ans : A concurrent manager is one which runs concurrent requests.
32. What are the different types of concurrent managers?
1. Internal concurrent manager – Will start all other managers and monitor
2. Standard Manager – All concurrent request by default will to go this
3. Conflict resolution manager – Concurrent programs with incompatabilites will be handled by this
4. Transaction manager – Handle all transaction requests
33. What are actual and target count in ‘Adminster Concurrent Managers form’?
Ans : Target is the no. of concurrent processes a manager is supposed to start(specified in the defination of concurrent manager).Actual is the no. of processes a manager started actually.
Target and Actual should be always same.
34. What if Target and Actual are not same?
Ans : It means at operating system level resources are low to accomidate the required processes for concurrent managers.
35. What are work shifts?
Ans : Work shifts are nothing but timings at which the concurrent manager is supposed to run.
36. What if internal concurrent manager target and actual are not same?
Ans : we need to bounce the concurrent manager using adcmctl.sh
37. How to bounce a single concurrent manager?
Ans : From frontend using ‘Administer Concurrent Manager form’.
38. When we change apps password , is it necessary to bounce application?
Ans : Only we need to bounce concurrent managers.
39. What is dbc file and its location?
Ans : dbc file contain database connection information. DBC file is used by oracle applications to connect to database. Its location is $FND_TOP/secure
40. What is the other script by which u can start apache other than adapcctl.sh?
Ans : apachectl @IAS_ORACLE_HOME/Apache/bin
41. What is the configuration file for PL/SQL listener?
Ans : httpd_pls.conf @IAS_ORACLE_HOME/Apache/Apache/conf
42. How to skip copy portion while applying a patch?
Ans : Adpatch options=nocopyportion
43. How to merge patches and what type of patches can be merged?
Ans : admrgpch. We can merge any kind of application patches, if any of the patch contain a u-driver then merged patch will contain u_merged.drv otherwise c_merged.drv, d_merged.drv and g_merged.drv
44. What is the Tiered architecture of u r instance?
Ans : Two Tier: Web and Forms on one node and Conc, admin and report on other node.
45. How to find formserver version?
Ans: f60gen and press enter, it will tell u the formserver version or we can find out from the frondend using help menu.
46. What is RRA?
Ans : RRA stands for Report Review Agent. RRA is nothing but FNDFS which is part of apps listener. RRA job is to pick the log/out file from the file system and show on the editor when u press view log/out button in ‘View concurrent request form’.
47. What is apps listener?
Ans : Apps lintener is the combination of FNDFS and FNDSM. FNDSM is service manager which will monitor application services on that node when GSM:enable profile value is ‘Y’.
48. What is GSM?
Ans : GSM stands for Generic service Manager, which will monitor application processes like web, forms etc and restarts any of this processes if goes down.
49. How to find the application version like 11.5.8/11.5.9….?
Ans : select release_name from fnd_product_groups;
50. How to find the database/sqlplus version?
Ans : select banner from v$version;
51. How to find out what are the languages enabled in u r applications?
Ans : Query fnd_languages
52. What is the size of u r database?
Ans : 200 to 500 GB
53. How to find operating system version?
Ans : uname –a
54. What are the problems u have faced while shutting down applications?
Ans : While shutting down application generally concurrent manager won’t go down because some or the other request may be running. We will see what are the concurrent requests running by querying fnd_concurrent_requests, fnd_concurrent_program_vl, v$session,v$process and v$sqltext. If that request is only doing some select statement then we will kill those requests, otherwise we will check what time it will take to complete by querying the previous runs of that request and then we will decide what to do.
55. What are the problems u have faced while starting up applications?
Ans : Most of the time we will encounter problem with starting up concurrent managers. Reasons , database listener may be down or FNDSM entries are wrong in tnsnames.ora of 806_ORACLE_HOME.
56. How to find the locks and what is the resolution?
Ans : we can find general locks with the following query:
select * from sys.dba_dml_locks order by session_id.
We can find the dead locks with the following query:
select * from v$lock where lmode > 0 and id1 in (select distinct id1 from v$lock where request > 0)
If it’s a dead lock, we need to kill that session.
57. How to kill a database session?
Ans : alter system kill session ‘&sid,&sno’;
58. How to find adconfig is enabled for oracle operating system user/database?
Ans : If appsutil directory is there in RDBMS_ORACLE_HOME
59. Which files tell u the database helath?
Ans : alert log file @RDBMS_ORACLE_HOME/admin//bdump
60. How to apply a rdbms patch?
Ans : Using opatch
61. How to find opatch is enabled or not for u r database?
Ans : If Opatch directory exists under RDBMS_ORACLE_HOME.
Latest posts by Nagulu Polagani (see all)
- ORA-65500: could not modify DB_UNIQUE_NAME, resource exists - December 13, 2017
- OPW-00019: Failed to update the CRS resource with DB password file location - December 13, 2017
- ORA-16698: LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n parameter set for object to be added - December 13, 2017